Friday 15 May 2009

Online Backup - Why Does It Have To Be Online?


Well of course it doesn't HAVE to be online. Before I started using online backup, I used to back up on CDs. Of course this is better than nothing, and it is really important that you DO back up in one way or another.

But now I am using online backup, I am finding it such a relief not to have to bother with this any more.



  • The process is very time-consuming and fiddly. The more files you have on your computer, the more time-consuming it is, as they probably won't all fit on one disk or even two.

  • I found that when I repeated the backup process, there was no way of identifying which files had been added since the last backup. So you have to do the whole lot each time, which is really a waste of time, effort and disks!!

  • You never know how long to leave it before doing it again. It's such a pain that the temptation is to leave it for a few weeks. But of course if the worst happened in the meantime, you would lose everything you had downloaded, and all the work you might have done in your word processor. So you have it hanging over you all the time.

  • Last but not least - where do you keep the disks containing your backed-up material? Near your computer? I always did - but of course if my computer had been destroyed in a fire or flood, the disks would have been destroyed as well! I can't think of anywhere I could have kept them, where they would have been safe from fire or flood.

What a relief it is now, to have an online backup service that works away in the background and backs up everything every day, without my having to do anything at all. Of course I believe that Back Up Solutions is the best service - but the important thing is that you use something. Otherwise you could be very, very sorry indeed!

2 comments:

  1. I also believe online backup is most secure and reliable way to store my data. I am wondering if you would be interested in reviewing new CloudBerry Online Backup powered by Amazon S3. You can sign-up for beta at cloudberrydrive.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comment. However I can only review a service I have actually used and I can't really sign up for any more! :-) Why don't you review it yourself? You would be the best person!

    ReplyDelete